Sunday, July 06, 2008

NUTRITION 101

If it taste bad, it must be good for you
and vice versa...
Sully decided that we needed a new tradition for celebrating the 4th and that pancakes and bacon were in order. I mean what's more American than pancakes? Ok...maybe not since Canada, UK, Ireland, and Australia all have a Pancake Day. Don't tell Sully or he'll want to move out again. He threatens to about once a week and it wouldn't matter that we celebrated Shrove Tuesday this year. We don't call it Pancake Day and that would be enough to make him go country shopping. He's still telling people that he's moving to Chicago...
The bacon was a bust because I tried the veggie stuff. I should have snapped a picture of their faces or yelled, "April Fools!" I'm usually a big fan of the meatless meats and we put away an incredible about of soy products in these parts, but I think I could have made better bacon with a fruit roll-up and liquid smoke. It was nasty. Mace liked it, but that's not saying much since he spends a considerable amount of time licking his boy parts. anyway...
The breakfast wasn't a total bust. The grocery store was out out of the Cherry Brook Farms mix that we LOVE. So we tried Bob's Red Mill Pancake Mix and it had this recipe for a spread on the package-
1/2 cup of softened butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
We put the ingredients in the stand mixer for a spin and spread it between the layers with a little swirl of syrup on the top. It was so. so. so. yummy! And more importantly...I think it might have made up for my crimes against bacon.

No comments: