Sunday, September 14, 2008

LIFE'S A BREEZE

I'm taking a parenting class at church and the question was raised- "What do your kids do for fun?" I didn't say anything because I honestly wonder what other kids do for fun. Around here it's all about rope, latex gloves, water, tape, boxes, dress-up, "camp mom" sports, reading, action figures and lego creations...and cooking...how could I forget cooking?? I even had help tonight peeling a mango and still have all the skin on my fingers. anyway- not a single person in the room said "found object art". I, for one, couldn't imagine life without it. They accidentally spill the straws and look at all the wonderful treasures I find...
x-wing fighter
spider web
(I helped with the play dough spider because that was much easier than making an eight-legged straw being that would be too large for the web and then we would have to create and even larger web out of respect. Luckily, they taped it in the path that leads down the hall...never be in the way there.) ummmm...dunno...
same here.
I'm glad that after all this time we are still in the tape phase. Harrison keeps asking about electronics and battery powered gadgets...says he's going to build me a robot that will help with the cleaning. Someday he will realize that if he had less projects, that would help with the cleaning. But until then, we will treasure the mounds of taped together boxes (especially a robot name Secret Keeper), rockets from two litre coke bottles (he almost cried when I asked if we could recycle it since its sprite can engines were dangling) and massive splinter-ridden statues that are perched on a shelf in the playroom... He still hasn't made anything out of one of his most prized possessions- a Volvo hubcap given to him by his principle when he found it in the carpool line and asked to bring it home. I think it's going to be a turtle one day...does anyone need a turtle??

No comments: