Thursday, March 19, 2009

"DOES IT HAVE BACON?"

The kids and I earned money by selling things at consignment sales and craigslist so that we could take a trip over President's Day weekend. It's rare that all three school systems have the same days off and we had to take advantage of it. So when I told Harrison that I had booked the room and we were definitely going he shouted, "Yes! Does it have bacon?!" Well, it had bacon and so much more. Now for the trip...

Sully's third favorite topic of conversation, after his age and his imaginary friend, is his strength. We sent him after a roll of toilet paper and a roll of paper towels. He had to show us how strong he is and pack a little extra... They were all really excited to get to the hotel... Can you tell?
I was really excited, too. I almost had to tie one of them to the roof rack for "Are we there yet?" violations.

Our first outing was to the Okefenokee Swamp.
We saw a film...
And laughed at Harrison when he kept waving at this man and wondering why he wouldn't speak...
That is a gator on the bank.
They didn't believe that it was real because it was so still. They are not used to anything being still...
This is Rob. Rob welcomed questions. I loved having another adult to answer questions. I almost kidnapped Rob. Rob was the answer to my prayer for restful ears. And he showed us that swamp water looks like tea...
We saw lots of wild life other than what was in our boat.


Rob parked us on a pile of peat moss so we could enjoy the quiet, sloshy swamp. I wish you could have seen the confused faces... "Who enjoys quiet?" It was totally lost on the kids. But I love swamps... almost as much as chocolate, running over take-out containers, and John Favreau. But Rob let the kids use a paddle to release methane gas and that was not lost on the kids...
"Who doesn't enjoy releasing gas?"
Have I mentioned Rob answered questions and even welcomed them? He let the kids name the alligators, too. I wonder how Bumpy and Snappy are doing?
Ok- We went to Cumberland Island and Jekyll Island and St. Simon's Island, but I can't find the pictures. I'll get back to you on those...
We stopped in Savannah on the way home. Here is Troy trying to befriend a pigeon... probably to ask it how much longer until we are home. (yes- he is the biggest "Are We There Yet?" violator.... not cut out for road trips.)
Our stay was short, but got to see the cool stuff: Old houses, Ships,
and candy!!

the kids had a little dessert...
posed for a few pictures...
and we headed home.
They said it was fun. I really don't remember. I left with five children and made it home with five children. now if I could just find those Cumberland Island pictures...
And about the bacon: the nice folks at Embassy Suites lost some money on us. Wouldn't be surprised if bacon isn't part of the free breakfast bar any longer...

No comments: