Wednesday, April 09, 2008

CONVERSATIONS...

Sully climbed on my chest when I was laying in the bed this morning. He squeezed me and said, "I will protect you."

I told him thanks and that he was brave. He said, "I will protect 'til dad gets back from his business trip."

Later, we were playing in the playroom when I used the word shucks. He asked me why I said that and I told him it was something people say when they are frustrated.

Sully replied, "I don't say shucks. I say something else."

I thought long and hard about this one before I asked what. He makes up words and uses them a lot. They usually rhyme, are silly, and sometimes profane. I just had to tell him to quit saying "f*cky f*ck" because it had been shouted one too many times over the last few weeks. To my knowledge, he's never heard that word...but I do wonder how his teacher refrain ;). I feared if he knew he'd discovered a bad one, he would use it even more....like our battles over butt and fart and stupid. Unfortunately, people never hear the "lucky luck, ducky duck"...only his crescendo.

So I took the bait and asked, "What do you say?"

Without missing a beat, he says "I just say SUCKS!"

It amazes me how he can be so sweet one minute and so mischievous the next.

Then tonight Harrison was giving me a lesson on how to make a new kind of paper airplane. I handed him the sheet of paper and he rotated it horizontally. I heard him say, "First, you turn it hamburgerly."

I asked him to repeat that step and always the good teacher he said, "You turn it long-ways...humburgerly."

I guess vertical is french-frierly??

No comments: